Sunday, April 29, 2012

Milo Slice

I was reading through the list of recipes I have typed so far and one name jumped out at me and I just had to try it; Milo Slice.

I tend to think of milo as a superfood. It's yummy on icecream, microwaved in the middle of a doughnut (sounds strange but it works; thanks Karl), mixed into milk or eaten straight out of the tin (come on, I know you've all done it!). One thing I've never tried, however, is to bake with it. I think this recipe is an instant favouite though. Its quick and easy to make and its oh so very scrumptious! The golden syrup in the icing just adds that little extra something.

I have deliberately kept all of the recipes as they were written in the books, which means that some of them are not structured as a typical recipe is or has measurements that are no longer used, such as ounces. Where needed, I will include conversions.

Milo Slice

Melt 4 oz margarine and mix well into 2 oz sugar, 1 cup S.R Flour and 2 dessertspoons milo. Press flat into 11x9” greased tin. Bake 20 minutes in moderate to low heat. Ice whilst hot, a couple of minutes after it comes out of oven.

Icing: In saucepan. 4 tablespoons icing sugar, 2dessertspoons milo, 2 oz margarine, 3 teaspoons golden syrup. Keep stirring on low heat for a few minutes. When all is nice and smooth, pour on slice and spread evenly. Cut into squares a couple of minutes later and leave in tin until cold.

1 oz = approx. 30 grams
Moderate to low heat = 160-170°C

The icing was fairly runny and remained a little sticky even after it had set. A little extra icing sugar may help stop this, but personally I liked the sticky consistency. I also lined the tin (and allowed some of the baking paper to come over the edges) as well as greasing. This made it really easy to pick up out of the tin.


No comments:

Post a Comment