Friday, July 27, 2012

Strawberry Dessert Cake

Firstly I want to wish my Mum a happy birthday! I hope she is having a wonderful day! 

We went around to my Mum and Dad's place last night for a family dinner for Mum's birthday and we made this beautiful dessert cake. I wasn't sure what I was going to make for mum's cake (she had only told me that she didn't want chocolate, so that didn't narrow it down very much), but then I had some strawberries for breakfast a few days ago and they were so sweet that I decided I wanted to use them in mum's cake. I went trawling through Grandma's recipes and stumbled across this one. 

There's a couple things that I've noticed about cooking all these old recipes. Firstly, sometimes its really hard to work out what they will look like when they are done. We are all so used to recipe books having photos of all the finished products these days! And also, on a number of occasions I have read a recipe and thought, "that can't be right" or "can't see how that is going to work" but every time the recipe comes together and surprises me! This recipe did both of these things. As we were making it last night (yes, I had to get Mum to help me make it as I have a cold and didn't want to contaminate the rest of the family, so thanks Mum for making your own cake!), Mum and I really couldn't picture how it was going to turn out. Mum kept asking "is it supposed to be like this" and I kept answering "I think so. We just have to follow the recipe and see what happens". Anyway, I'm pretty sure we got it right! It looked great and tasted even better and I'm really excited to share this recipe! 

And once again, happy birthday Mum! 

2 cups Self Raising Flour
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons margarine
1 egg, well beaten
Two-thirds cup milk

Sprinkle ½ cup sugar over 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries, cover and let stand at room temperature. Sift flour, salt and sugar into basin. Work in the margarine finely. Combine the egg and milk, and stir into the flour mixture. Blend well. Spread this dough in a well greased 7 x 12 x 1 ½ inch cake pan. Spoon the berries and juice over the top of the dough. 

Now blend together ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup butter and 3 tablespoons of self-raising flour. Drop this mixture evenly over strawberries. Bake 35 to 40 minutes in a moderately-hot oven (400 deg F). Serve warm with cream or ice-cream. Makes 8 to 10 servings.2 cups Self Raising Flour

Note: we cooked it at 180 degrees C
          The mixture that goes on top will be a similar consistency to a crumb. 
          We baked it in a round dish as we didn't have a rectangle one the right size.






No comments:

Post a Comment