Thursday, May 17, 2012

Caramel Cookies

A couple days ago I got an email from my husband to say that he had heard that it was his colleague's birthday the following day and could I bake something. Of course, I agreed and he went on to ask her what she would like me to make. Well, it turns out, it wasn't her birthday after all but it has since been decided that we will have to celebrate her "birthday" every month so that I can send in a new recipe for them all to try. This month's "birthday" recipe was Caramel Cookies. A simple but fairly sweet biscuit.

These only have a few ingredients but they do take a little while to prepare as the caramel mixture needs to cool before the flour is mixed in. I had a little trouble getting the mixture to come together with the flour so I had to add a touch of milk. Another tip, when rolling these, damp hands really help to stop the mixture from sticking!


¼ lb butter
½ lb sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 oz S.R. Flour

Put butter, sugar, golden syrup, milk, vanilla into saucepan and boil gently for 5 mins. Cool. Then add flour. Roll into balls and flatten with fork. Bake in moderate oven for 10-12 mins.

Conversion -       1/4 pound = approx 115grams 
                           1/2 pound = approx 230 grams
                           8 oz = approx 225 grams

I also decided to drizzle a little toffee over some of the biscuits. This addition gives a bit of textual interest but is definitely not a neccesity as the bikkies are nice enough without. 

To make the toffee I used a recipe from allrecipes.com.au ( http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/499/everton-toffee.aspx ) I simply halved the mixture and then drizzled it over the biscuits quickly before it cooled and set. 



No comments:

Post a Comment