Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Corn Fritters


Fritter - noun: a small mass of fried or sauteed batter often containing fruit or meat
Well Grandma's corn fritters certainly follow that description. These were delicious and easy to make, however I did have to adjust the recipe slightly (I think I was a little generous with the filling and the batter wasn't quite enough). The good thing about this recipe as well is that you can use it as a base and change the filling ingredients to whatever you happen to have on hand. We have already decided that our next batch of these will have bacon and garlic added. Yum!

440g can corn kernels
4 shallots, chopped
½ cup grated cheese
½ cup chopped red capsicum
½ cup plain flour
1 egg
¼ cup cream
¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying

In a bowl mix together well drained corn, shallots, cheese, parsley and capsicum. In another bowl, sift flour and seasoning. Make a well in centre. Beat egg, milk and cream together and pour in, mixing until smooth. Add corn mixture and mix well. Heat oil in pan and drop in tablespoons of mixture. Cook until golden brown on one side then turn and cook other side. Drain on absorbent paper. 

Note: As I said above I didn't have quite enough batter in my mix. I worked that out when I went to cook my first fritter and it wouldn't hold together. I mixed up another egg and half a cup of cream and the rest of them held together perfectly. Its just a matter of testing and adjusting the mix to get it right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment