Friday, August 3, 2012

Russian Caramels

Warning: These little sweet treats are extremely moreish!

I tend to get put off by confectionery recipes that say you need to have a thermometer in order to get it right... sounds far too complicated for me, not to mention I don't even own a thermometer! That's why I like this recipe. Its simple and produces really good results: the caramels turn out really hard and chewy with a nice caramel flavour. Just make sure you follow the recipe.... I decided that you couldn't really need the baking paper between layers of cut caramels... well.... you do. Although, I suppose having all the pieces stuck together in a giant caramel blob do make them last a little longer! 

1 tin condensed milk
6 ozs butter (180grams)
3 tablesp syrup (golden)
1 cup sugar

Melt butter, syrup and sugar. Gradually add cond. milk. Boil for 20 minutes stirring all the time. Pour into buttered tin. Cut into squares when cold and wrap in greaseproof paper. 

Printable Recipe

Note: Instead of buttering the tin I just used baking paper. It makes it nice and easy to get out. Also you really do need to stir the entire time, so make sure you set aside the time with no other distractions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment