Sunday, August 26, 2012

Scones

I finally worked up the courage to attempt scones. I'm not sure exactly why scones scared me so much. Maybe it was that I know that if you aren't careful they can come out quite heavy and tough. It is also a little intimidating trying to replicate Grandma's number one dish (well as far as I'm concerned!). However I shouldn't have been worried as it turns out that they are easy to make!


Sift 2 cups S.R. Flour and pinch of salt into a basin. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine. Beat one egg, pour into cup with melted butter then fill up with milk and pour all into flour all at once. Stir with a fork or knife. Press out and cut with a floured knife. Bake 10 minutes in a hot oven.

If liked sweet, add 1 tablespoon sugar.

Brush over with milk before putting in oven. 


The trick with these is to handle them as little as possible. There is no need to knead them at all, you just want to bring the mixture together in the bowl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment