Monday, August 20, 2012

Walnut Slice

I was typing this recipe up on the weekend and was struggling to decipher Grandma's writing on the really old paper but thought I could make out the word streusel. I had never heard of streusel before! Strudel sure, but not streusel. However wikipedia informs me that streusel is a crumb topping for cakes, breads and slices of German origin that is made from butter, flour and sugar and with nuts and spices sometimes added. Of course, it makes sense that this would be in Grandma's recipes given that both her and Grandad's heritage is German. Hopefully I will come across more recipes with such heritage along the way.


2 ozs (60g) butter, ½ teaspoon vanilla, ½ cup sugar, 1 egg, ¼ cup milk, 1 cup S.R. Flour
Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla. Beat well, sift dry ingredients and add to mixture alternatively  with milk. Spoon into greased tin. Spread with streusel mixture. Bake moderate oven. Ice when cold with coffee icing.

Streusel mixture:
½ cup brown sugar, 1 pkt walnuts (I used 185g packet and this was pretty well right), 2 tablespoons plain flour or cornflour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 tablespoons melted butter, ¼ cup coconut. Mix all ingredients together.


I made a simple coffee icing just from icing mixture and an espresso shot. In the future I think I would just drizzle this icing over rather than putting a full layer as it overpowers the other flavours a bit and you also miss out on seeing the streusel effect. Chocolate icing would also be super yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment